Today I’m going to review an app called Dosh that gives you cash back automatically.
It doesn’t give you points or coupons, just cold hard cash.
I’m going to explain what it is, how it works and whether or not you should consider downloading it.
What is Dosh?
Dosh launched in 2017, making it fairly new compared to sites like Rakuten and Swagbucks. However, in its short existence, it has received a lot of attention for being one of the best cashback apps out there.
When I joined in 2017, I was surprised how simple it was to earn cash back.
I simply created an account, connected my credit card, and forgot about it.
There were times I would check in on the app and realized I had earned cash back without even trying.
A few times after filling up my car with gas, it would immediately give me a percentage of cash back on the gas purchase.
My current Dosh lifetime earnings:
With that being said, is Dosh legit or is a scam?
Should You Download Dosh?
Based on my experience, it has been great! The hardest part was setting up the account and since then, I’ve literally done nothing since.
There are 5 ways I’ve earned cash back with Dosh:
1. Earn $5.00 by Linking Your Card
Once you sign up and link a card, $5.00 will be added to your Dosh wallet. After that, your balance will grow as you spend, and once your balance reaches a minimum of $25 you can cash out via PayPal.
2. Online Cashback
If you’re a frequent online shopper, you’re really missing out not having Dosh. Here are a few places you can earn cash back:
- 1-800 Flowers – 5% Cash Back
- Tile – 5% Cash Back
- Forever 21 – 3% Cash Back
- Sam’s Club – 3% Cash Back
- Uber Eats – 9% Cash Back
- Old Navy – 3% Cash Back
3. In-store Cash Back
If you fill-up gas at Sam’s Club or Exxon you can get 2% cashback (these offers come and go and may not be available when you download Dosh). If you grab a cup of coffee in the morning from Dunkin Donuts get 4% cashback for that too. No coupon, no receipts, and no scanning involved.
Here’s a few other in-store cash back locations:
- Dunkin Donuts – 4% Cash Back
- Pizza Hut – 3% Cash Back
- Sam’s Club – 2% Cash Back (for limited times)
- Sephora – 5% Cash Back
- Gap – 3% Cash Back
- Mattress Firm – 2% Cash Back
4. Cash Back on Hotels
A new update to the Dosh app in 2019 was the added feature of earning cashback on hotels. This can be huge if you’re someone that travels a lot.
Simply book a hotel through the app and it will tell you the amount in cash back before you book a hotel. For example, I could book a hotel in Houston, Texas right now for $76 per night and receive $22.26 back in cash.
That’s a sweet deal!
4. Referral program
Once you get familiar with the app you can share it with friends and family and make a little extra cash that way.
As soon as you sign up, you’ll see the option to refer found on the bottom of the screen. Click here and you’ll be given a referral code.
Send this code to friends and family through email, text message, or social media channels. If one of the recipients clicks the link, downloads the app, and links his or her credit card, you earn a referral bonus of $5 and they get $5 for signing up.
How Does It Work?
Like I mentioned at the beginning, it’s really easy! Here are 4 steps and that’s literally it:
- Connect your card. Securely link your credit and debit cards and whenever you make a purchase, Dosh gives you cashback.
- Shop and dine out. Pay with your linked card at 1,000s of stores and restaurants, and get up to 10% cashback automatically in your Dosh wallet.
- Get paid to refer. Refer your friends to Dosh and get $5 for each one who signs up and links a verified card.
- Transfer your cash. Transfer your cash to a bank account, PayPal, or donate to charity from the app.
Is It Safe?
Dosh uses bank-level security and mentions on their website, “we’re serious about your security, and we protect every piece of data you share with us.”
Here’s a few more bits of information if you’re worried about security:
- SSL Encryption – Our app is secured with 256-bit encryption to ensure your information is protected
- Data Safeguards – Dosh does not store any credit or banking information. All credit card information is tokenized and vaulted using Braintree, a PayPal service
- Anonymity – Rest assured, Dosh does not sell personally identifiable information to any third party
- Account Authentication – We use Multi-Factor and Two-Factor Authentication to prevent unauthorized access
Dosh Review Conclusion
If you’re a regular shopper, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to get back some of the cash you’ve been spending. It’s even better if you live in an area populated with businesses participating in the program.
The nice thing about Dosh is there are no hoops to jump through in order to get cashback.
But, don’t let the cashback deals entice you to spend more money than you would normally spend. Remember to be smart with this and only spend money on things you need and/or value.
This has been my Dosh review but I invite you to try for yourself. Don’t just take my word for it. Download the Dosh App today.
If you’ve read this far, what do you have to lose?If you’d like to read more app reviews, check out:
I think it’s a great way to get long-term benefits on much of your shopping and spending.